Wednesday

RAZZLE DAZZLE: The Boys Of Summer

Two new full length trailers and a clip from the summer’s most anticipated films hit the web this week, hoping to get us excited for the post-bang of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3.

SUPERMAN RETURNS
I had just written about how I felt the approach to Superman was looking kind of stiff, but after seeing the new trailer, I’m really starting to get it. Loving the use of the old music, and Spacey (who hasn’t been good in a long time) looks terrific. I wanted more dialogue from Superman himself. (I hope that’s not a bad omen). I still don’t think it’ll be my favorite film of the summer, but I can easily see it being the biggest at the box office. [LINK]
THE MOMENT THAT STOLE MY MONEY: The airplane shot at the end is cool, but I really loved the final bit of dialogue.
TRAILER RATING: 8 out of 10

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST
The first PIRATES was surprisingly successful, and honestly I liked it even more than most. Besides Depp’s semi-legendary risky performance, I think it’s one of the best summer movie scripts of recent years. (Worthy of Oscar consideration, I argued.)

While I’m jazzed about the new adventure, I’m also nervous. The same writers are back, but this time they’re aware of how Depp plays Capt. Jack and are writing in that gonzo vein. I fear this being a case where everyone tries too hard to capture the magic that made the original so special, and then crank it all up to 11. Remember CHARLES ANGELS 2? GHOSTBUSTERS 2?

What excites me most about the film are not the returning characters, but the new villains. I loved the ghost zombies of the first film, and the barnacle encrusted pirates (led by squid-faced Davey Jones) appear equally interesting.[LINK]
THE MOMENT THAT STOLE MY MONEY: Summon the Kracken!
TRAILER RATING: 7 out of 10, but I thought CHARLIE’S ANGELS 2 had a terrific trailer as well

X-MEN: THE LAST STAND
Hugh Jackman appeared on Leno and they aired this clip, our first look at the new film. Bad Visuals, silly stunts and Wolverine tells Storm not to get her panties in a bunch. Yikes! (Wolverine tosses off other lame one-liners as well). The trailer gave me hope that Brett Ratner and the writer of ELEKTRA and LAST ACTION HERO didn’t screw things up. Now I fear a MATRIX sequel style dark cloud looms on the horizon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home