Wednesday

2005: Top 25 Songs (Part 1)

Songs from 2005 that you should definitely give a listen to.

25. “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing” by Jack Johnson
I generally find Jack Johnson songs to be too mellow and too similar, but there’s some beautiful pain and a real catchy chorus in this tale of a man being strung along by the woman he loves. [link]

24. “Avalon” by Juliet
Pretty vocals laid down over a danceable groove transports me to a happy dreamscape. “We’ll take a holiday. I know I’d love you better.” [link]

23. “Electric Mistress” by Jamiroquai
Known in the states solely for “Virtual Insanity”, Jamiroquai is one of the world’s best funk-dance bands with CD’s full of catchy singles. This is the best track off their latest release, Dynamite.

22. “Round And Round” by Bodyrockers
A “Sharp Dressed Man” style track stripped down to its catchy guitar-pop essence. [link]

21. “Lose Control” by Missy Elliott
Unapologetic party starter with 80’s digital beeps, guest stars and an acapella break.

20. “Destroy Everything You Touch” by Ladytron
A little meatier than my previous picks. Ladytron sound like Veruca Salt with better skills and more to say. Crunchy on the outside, but with a soft center. [link]

19. “Switch” by Will Smith
Will Smith’s hand clapping shout out to getting on the dance floor is the singer’s catchiest song since he got Jiggy with it.

18. “My Coco” by Stellastarr
A fond remembrance of a relationship that has ended, done with garage rock style. It starts slow, and gets sadder as the music becomes more upbeat. Emotionally similar to “Jack And Diane.” [link]

17. “Little Piece Of Me” by Melanie C
In England, Melanie Chelsom has been able to live down her Spice Girl past to become an accomplished solo artist. (She’s Sporty, the one who could actually sing.) This track exemplifies her best solo work, a rockin’ piece of pop. (Think of Janet Jackson’s “Black Cat.”)

16. “Pledge Of Allegiance” by Louis XIV
A lesser track from Louis XIV, (who have 4 songs in my Top 25.) A crunchy, staccato beat with electric guitar flourishes and even a bit of violin.

15. “Pon De Replay” by Rihanna
One of the year’s most infectious dance songs. Similar in some ways to “Switch” but this track plays around with its basic dance groove and mixes it up to a greater, more rewarding degree.

14. “My Doorbell” by The White Stripes
One of those “sticks in your head” songs with its simple, catchy chorus (“I’m thinkin’ about my doorbell. When you gonna ring it. When you gonna ring it”) and a thumping drum beat that’s easy to learn and difficult to forget. [link]

13. “Tribulations” by LCD Soundsystem
LCD Soundsystem garnered a lot of acclaim for their excellent CD, which messes with people’s ideas of what Electronica can and cannot do. This has the heavy tone of a Depeche Mode classic dressed inside its fun dance beat. [link]

12. “Louis XIV” by Louis XIV
That’s right, Louis XIV named a song after themselves. (The chorus is “Me, me, me, me is all you say that I care about. Me, me, me, me is all I really want to talk about.”)

11. “Raise Up” by King Kapisi
Dance party Hip-Hop from New Zealand, features a lengthy shout out to fellow kiwi Peter Jackson as well as name checking other films throughout. Thoroughly fun. [link]


Stay tuned for the Top 10…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home