Wednesday

2007: The Year In Quotes

I kept it to one quote per movie (which made it really hard for 300 and JUNO.)

One-liners
“He’s playing fetch with my kids.” – KNOCKED UP
“I've won a lot of radio contests because I refused to get off the line.” – BLADES OF GLORY
“If we get any more white people in here, this is gonna be a suburb.” – HAIRSPRAY
“I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. But now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that, I must quit.” – HOT ROD
“If you’re planning something like a party, you should tell me cause you know I hate surprises.” – Will Smith to his dog in I AM LEGEND
“Do you’re early stuff, man.” – Dylan to a crucifix Jesus in I’M NOT THERE
“I was hoping she was expelled, or into hard drugs.” – JUNO
“Let’s split up. I’ll take the women.” – RUSH HOUR 3


Smart Ass
“This is a pimp I wouldn't trust to wash my car, but y'all done elected him city official.” – TALK TO ME
“12 years? Twelve years - to paddle down a river?” – INTO THE WILD
“You could cut the hard line, sure. Or you could just walk by and kick out the plug.” – OCEAN’S 13
“Operation Stupid is officially over!” – DISTURBIA
“I’m sorry, Mrs. Umbridge. I must not tell lies.” – HARRY POTTER & THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
“If you were at your office, we’d be having this conversation face to face.” – THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM


The Film In A Nutshell
“So you’re like…ransom.” – ALPHA DOG
“He doesn’t confuse me.” – AWAY FROM HER
“I aim to cure you of your wickedness.” – BLACK SNAKE MOAN
“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.” – PIRATES: AT WORLD’S END
“How much did you have to pay?” – SICKO
“There’s more than one way to lose your life to a killer.” – poster for ZODIAC


Words Of Wisdom
“Don’t sing. It’s okay. You know. Let’s just walk.” – ENCHANTED
“The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room.” – AMERICAN GANGSTER
"You always want to invest in things people can't do without. Water and cemeteries...pretty safe bets." - MR. BROOKS
“You might think you're more 'from here' than I am, but then again, I been living here longer than you've been alive. So who's right?” – GONE BABY GONE
“I got you the biggest one because I love you the most.” – SHREK THE THIRD
“I am driver. I go left, I go right, I go straight ahead - that's it.” – EASTERN PROMISES
“You see we're both going left. You could have just as easily been going left, too. And if that was the case... It would have been a while before you started getting scared. But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately.” – DEATH PROOF


Great In The Context Of The Movie
“Narp?” - HOT FUZZ
“I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through.” - MEET THE ROBINSONS
“Muey hedgehog?” – ONCE
“Welcome to Hell.” – RATATOUILLE
“You're saying you need my vote. I'm saying you can't have it.” – SUNSHINE
“I have the money! I have the power!” – THE LOOKOUT
“My daughter didn’t like it.” – THE TV SET
“I drink…your milkshake!” – THERE WILL BE BLOOD


T-shirt Ready Quotes For The Ages
“Call it…Friend-o.” – NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
“At last my arm is complete again!” – SWEENEY TODD
“Look out…He is a Spider-Pig” – THE SIMPSONS MOVIE
“I am McLovin.” – SUPERBAD
“Tonight we dine in Hell!” – 300

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Once" - (Phonetically) - "Milloo Yesh Ho?"

9:34 PM  
Blogger Cutshaw said...

What makes it funny and memorable in the movie is that he doesn't know how to pronounce it correctly and the words come out 'Muey Hedgehog."

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't hear the word "hedgehog" ANYWHERE in that film... to suppose that that's what he says sucks the magic out of a scene in which "Guy" is honestly and truly trying to say something in her language. Clearly, he botches the pronunciation in a humorous way, but... come on.

I don't speak Czech either, but Hansard DEFINITELY does not say "hedgehog."

12:06 PM  
Blogger Cutshaw said...

I refer you to the trailer...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/once/trailera/
She pronounces it flawlessly, but he does not. I love finding someone else who is so passionate about this criminally underappreciated film. I think that Hansard's character is very sincere, but knows he didn't hear it right the first time and so tried to cover his botched delivery with sweet comedy. I don't think it sucks the magic out of the scene, but adds a layer of charm.

If they had subtitled her answer, that might have sucked out the magic. He doesn't know her reply, and neither should we.

I can only hope our discussion inspires more people to check out this wonderful film.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home