Thursday

The Top Directors Working Today: Todd Haynes

And now let's take a trip deep into the art-house with a director whose vision is so unique, personal and experimental it's amazing he's even able to get financing. I have seen most all of Haynes work, including POISON and, yes, SUPERSTAR: THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY... in many ways his greatest achievement. What do you say about a man whose most accessible film is a tribute to Douglas Sirk melodrama. I love what he does, and even when I hate his films, I often find myself going back and basking in the sheer originality. (VELVET GOLDMINE is one of the few films I own that I don't even REALLY like.) He keeps the flame burning for all of us who argue about film being a form of art.

I admit, I'm a bit surprised by the outpouring of love for Haynes. I always saw him as more of a divider. It's probably because the internet is a site for intelligent film discussion and not just mainstream commentary. Even then, you rarely find a filmmaker with such personal tastes find so much acceptance. Just one of the reasons why I'm glad to be doing these polls. I get to see opinions outside my close circle of friends and make some real interesting discoveries.

According to the poll posted on Filmspotting...

12% think anytime he makes a movie, there's a good chance it'll be a masterpiece.
47% think he's sometimes Great, and always worth watching.
29% think he's unpredictable, but like that he's making movies.
6% tend to like his choices more than his films.
6% think he's annoying.

With the exception of the dreadful Velvet Goldmine, I think all of his films are great to super terrific great. He is probably among the 5 filmmakers I get the most excited about.
-Matt the movie watcher

No matter what, you can't say he's not interesting.
-arcnyc

After seeing I'm Not There. I became convinced that he's now one of the greatest directors ever. I'm looking forward to what he does next.
-The Void99

2 Comments:

Anonymous new movies said...

Todd Haynes is one of the most successful directors.he has unique style of working.He just perfect in whatever he done.I like His Poison the most.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Kayla Sullivan said...

Great bllog you have

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home