Monday

The Top Directors Working Today: David Gordon Green

David Gordon Green burst into the spotlight with his debut film, GEORGE WASHINGTON. Some critics praised Green's sensitive direction, with it's casual life-like atmosphere and the film is something of a minor art-house classic. I didn't hate GW, but I walked away thinking that Green is not the kind of filmmaker that I respond to.

That sentiment carried over to ALL THE REAL GIRLS. I didn't care for the film as a whole, but I absolutely went nuts for the love story at its center. Paul Schneider and Zooey Deschanel have never been better and some credit has to go to Green's handling of the actors. I didn't see SNOW ANGELS, but I will rent it. And I'll see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS even though right now he seems like a very, very odd choice to direct a broad stoner comedy.

I imagine at some point I'll watch one of his films and it will all fall into place for me, but right now I feel like I'm on the outside looking in, trying to figure out why some people whose opinions I respect like him so much.

According to the poll on Filmspotting.net...

17% think he's Great now and getting better.
11% think he's Great, but wouldn't put him in the Top 10.
33% think he's solid, but only sometimes Great.
6% think there's nothing special about his directing.
33% haven't seen enough of his work yet.

George Washington is one of my favorite movies. I really can't put my finger on what specifically made it so great for me but it was absolutely beautiful and broke my heart.
-jbissell

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed Howard said...

Couldn't disagree more about All the Real Girls, which I really loved. What I really responded to was the fact that its love story is really situated in a very precise sense of place, and the surrounding people and landscapes are depicted in sometimes as much detail as the love story itself. It's a wonderful film, for me even better than Green's debut.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home