Friday

2007: My Apologies To...













When asked how many films he sees a year, Richard Roeper replied “all of them.” Over 600 films were released in US theatres in 2007, and I’m betting Richard missed more than a few. I’ve seen just around 100 (so far). I’d love to wait until I’ve seen them all, but Oscar nominations are coming soon. These are important films I missed. Apologies to the following…

4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS & 2 DAYS
This same problem happened to THE LIVES OF OTHERS last year. It’s made over 40 Top 10 lists even though it doesn’t open until Jan. 25th of this year.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Fascinated by the trailer, but turned off by a swarm of bad reviews. I’m still intrigued thanks to a handful of passionate supporters.

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
I don’t like slow, moody films. I’m only interested in this for the Cinematography and Casey Afflick’s performance. If you can give me both in under 2 hours, I’m there.

THE DARJEELING LIMITED
Word is this is much more LIFE AQUATIC than ROYAL TANANBAUMS.

THE KITE RUNNER
I was surprised when Marc Forster’s vision of this acclaimed book opened to lukewarm reviews.

THE KING OF KONG & MY KID COULD PAINT THAT
I hear both of these documentaries are a lot of fun, but I tend to enjoy docs better on the small screen. (I’m quirky like that.) I’ll definitely rent them both.

LAKE OF FIRE & NO END IN SIGHT
I hear both of these documentaries are great…but no fun at all. Again, I’ll rent them.

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
Maybe my biggest regret. The trailer turned me off, it looked to cutsey. And while I think Ryan Gosling has oodles of talent, I’m not as big a fan as many others are.

PERSEPOLIS
I plan to see this soon. I hear it’s great, but can it topple RATATOUILLE and take the animation Oscar?

I also try and see the popular films. The most successful of 2007 I didn’t see are, ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS ($190+million), NATIONAL TREASURE 2 ($190+), WILD HOGS ($168), BEE MOVIE ($125), I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY ($120), EVAN ALMIGHTY ($100) and NORBIT ($95)

Taken together it reads like Hell’s film festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home